Reynolds County Missouri Conservation Commission 30N-1W-2
1938: 1,187.9 acres were acquired for the use as a towersite. (Report of the Missouri Conservation Commission)
1940: 109.93 acres were acquired by the Conservation Commission for the purpose of erecting a 66-foot wood fire tower. (Missouri Conservation Commission Annual Report)
August 22, 1941: "The Civilian Conservation Corps has completed construction of a wooden fire tower on Panther Hill near Ellington for the Missouri Conservation Commission. The structure, 68 feet tall to the lookout floor, overlooks Deer Run State Forest and other woodland areas of Reynolds County." (Franklin County Tribune)
1942: Construction and development during 1942: 1 dwelling 20 x 30; 1 garage and woodshed; 1 latrine; 1 outbuilding. (Missouri Conservation Commission Annual Report)
1943: 1,078 acres were acquired for the towersite. (Report of the Missouri Conservation Commission)
1945-1946: The 'Official Manual of the State of Missouri' indicates that the towersite is owned by the Missouri Conservation Commission and is 109.9 acres in size.
FY1956-57: "An extra bedroom was added to the residence at Panther Hill." (Missouri Conservation Commission Annual Report FY 1956-57)
FY1957-58: "Extensive repairs, required because of lightning damage, were made at the Panther Hill dwelling." (Missouri Conservation Commission Annual Report FY 1957-58)
FY1969-70: "New ceilings and wall paneling were installed at panther Hill tower residence." (Annual Report of the Missouri Department of Conservation)
1973: "A new fire tower was erected at Panther Hill." (Annual Report of the Department of Conservation)
1978: "The basement and foundation at Panther Hill were disposed of and a cistern filled." (Annual Report of the Department of Conservation)
FY1971-72: "The Panther Hill residence received new storm doors and windows." (Annual Report of the Missouri Department of Conservation)
FY1973-74: "A new fire tower was erected at Panther Hill." (Missouri Department of Conservation Annual Report)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - PANTHER HILL LOOKOUT TOWER PID - HC0776 STATE/COUNTY- MO/REYNOLDS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - CORRIDON SE (1985)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1963 (VBM) LOCATED ABOUT 7 MILES NORTHWEST OF ELLINGTON, 8 MILES SOUTHWEST OF CENTERVILLE AND IS OWNED BY THE STATE. IT IS A FOUR LEGGED WOOD TOWER WITH AN OBSERVATION CABIN AT THE TOP. THE OVERALL HEIGHT IS ABOUT 60 FEET.
TO REACH FROM THE JUNCTION OF STATE HIGHWAYS 21 AND 106 IN ELLINGTON, GO NORTH ON HIGHWAY 21 FOR 8 MILES TO A SIDE ROAD LEFT AT A SIGN PANTHER HILL LOOKOUT TOWER. TURN LEFT AND GO WESTERLY FOR 3.45 MILES TO THE TOWER ON THE LEFT.