November 16, 1934: "Six forest fires have been extinguished since the first of November by the U.S. Forest Service employees at Camp Glenn. Most of these fires were reported from the lookout station maintained at Fountain Bluff. Many Murphysville people have been interested visitors at this station, where forest service employees are constantly on the lookout for traces of fire. It is located about two miles from Route 150, between Gorham and Grand Tower, and from the lookout it is possible to see for many miles in every direction." (The Daily Independent)
April 15, 1936: "In the past month there were 310 visitors to the fire lookout tower on Fountain Bluff, and 37 people braved the long climb for the view from the tower on Dry Hill, near the camp." (The Daily Independent)
c.1942: "Fountain Bluff area, known locally as Big Hill. Popular resort for picnic outing and nature lovers. U.S. Forest Service Lookout Station 60 foot tower. Visitors welcome." ("Illinois Ozark Region - Historic Development of County Names, etc...")
June 25, 1949: "Properties of the Shawnee National Forest, among these picnic tables and fireplaces in the forestry's fire tower area on top of Fountain Bluff, have been damaged from time to time by vandals. Recently, according to word to local proponents of forestry interest in turning scenic spots into attractive parking grounds, several sturdy picnic tables were destroyed on Fountain Bluff heights. Some tables were thrown over the high bluff, to crash to pieces on the rocks below. A table or so were cut to pieces for firewood, according to word from forest rangers. Rock fireplaces, conveniently placed for visitors for cooking foods, were damaged. These have been repaired. Every mark left by the vandals indicated willful destruction of property."(Southern Illinoisan/The Daily Independent)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - FOUNTAIN BLUFF RESET PID - HB1699 STATE/COUNTY- IL/JACKSON COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - GORHAM (1994)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1930 (PAS) ON SOUTHERN END AND HIGHEST POINT OF DETACHED HILL KNOWN AS FOUNTAIN BLUFF, ABOUT 12 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MURPHYSBORO, AND 2 MILES SOUTH OF GORHAM, ON ILLINOIS CENTRAL RAILROAD ONE-HALF MILE SOUTH OF FOUNTAIN BLUFF STATION. TO REACH FROM SMALL DAM ON WEST SIDE OF HILL, FOLLOW TRAIL UP RIDGE TO SOUTH OVER SEVERAL POINTS AND THROUGH SEVERAL SMALL SADDLES. AT BOTTOM OF SHORT, STEEP PITCH, TURN SOUTHEAST AND CLIMB TO TOP OF RIDGE. MARKED BY STANDARD STATION DISK (PLACED IN 1930) IN TOP OF 6-BY 6-INCH STONE POST. TOP OF POST IS 8 INCHES BELOW SURFACE. TWO REFERENCE MARKS, 3-INCH CAPPED IRON PIPES, PROJECTING 1 FOOT ABOVE GROUND, ARE DISTANT FROM STATION- 2.99 METERS (9.8 FEET), S 00 DEG 40 MIN E, AND 3.06 METERS (10.0 FEET), N 1 DEG 24 MIN E.
STATION RECOVERY (1975)
RECOVERY NOTE BY LOCAL ENGINEER (INDIVIDUAL OR FIRM) 1975 (AGS) THE MARK WAS SEARCHED FOR BUT COULD NOT BE FOUND. AN OLD CONCRETE FOUNDATION WAS FOUND IN THE AREA AND PORTIONS OF AN OLD TOWER.