Reynolds County Missouri Conservation Commission 28N-1E-36
FY 1947-48: A 40 acre towersite was acquired. (Missouri Conservation Commission Annual Report)
1950: A 100-foot steel tower erected.
1949-1950: The 'Official Manual of the State of Missouri' indicates that the towersite is owned by the Missouri Conservation Commission and is 40 acres in size.
FY1969-70: "The Garwood tower road was reshaped and resurfaced." (Annual Report of the Missouri Department of Conservation)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - GARWOOD LOOKOUT TOWER PID - HC1011 STATE/COUNTY- MO/REYNOLDS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - GARWOOD (1985)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1962 (VBM) STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE BASE OF THE TOWER. IT IS A 4 LEGGED WOODEN STRUCTURE WITH AN ENCLOSED OBSERVING ROOM AT THE TOP. IT IS OWNED BY THE STATE AND HAS AN OVERALL HEIGHT OF ABOUT 50 FEET.
LOCATED ABOUT 12 MILES NORTHWEST OF ELLSINORE AND 7-3/4 MILES NORTHEAST OF VAN BUREN.
TO REACH THE TOWER FROM THE JUNCTION OF U.S. HIGHWAY 60 AND STATE HIGHWAYS 21 AND 34 ABOUT 7 MILES NORTHEAST OF VAN BUREN, GO NORTH ON HIGHWAYS 21 AND 34 FOR 2.0 MILES TO A SIDE ROAD RIGHT AND A SIGN GARWOOD LOOKOUT TOWER ON THE RIGHT. TURN RIGHT AND GO EAST ON THE GRAVELED ROAD FOR 0.75 MILE TO THE TOWER ON THE LEFT.