1946-1947: 92 acres were acquired for a towersite. (Annual Report of the Missouri Department of Conservation)
1947-1948: The 'Official Manual of the State of Missouri' indicates that the towersite is owned by the Missouri Conservation Commission and is 92 acres in size.
May 10, 1951: "The man who wasn't worried about a fire escaping from him on a windy day because he had 'more than a nickel' to pay the costs, was not too happy with the results. Towerman James Rongey, who noticed the fire from Knob View tower, and went to investigate found the 'nickel nurser' burning a field even though the wind was high. Rongel warned Ambrose that burning under such conditions was dangerous, and told him that if the fire got out of control and burned adjacent property, he was liable for penalties. Mr. 'Nickle Nurser' replied that he had 'more than a nickle to pay for it.' The fire, of course, got away, and was finally brought under control by Conservation Commission fire (control) crews but only after some 200 acres had been burned. Next morning Conservation Agent L.N. Elson and Forest Assistant Harold Ruetz escorted the 'nickle nurser' to magistrate's court in Rolla where he was fined 400 nickles." (Sullivan Tri-County News)