March 1930: "Gibbs Bros. & Co., the Foster Lumber Co., and the Delta Land & Timber Co. have agreed to cooperate with the Texas Forest Service in establishing a large protection unit in southern Walker and Northern Montgomery Counties, Tex. The Unit involves 111,293 acres of timberland owned by the three lumber companies and almost equal area owned by smaller companies and farmers. In preparation for placing this area under protection at the beginning of the 1930 fire season a 97-foot steel tower has been erected on a high point about 13 miles south of Huntsville." (Forest Worker)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - MOORES GROVE USFS LOT PID - BL2274 STATE/COUNTY- TX/WALKER COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - MOORE GROVE (1997)
DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1942 (FBQ) THIS INTERSECTION STATION IS IN DISTRICT 8 OF SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL FOREST, ABOUT 4.6 MILES W OF NEW WAVERLY AND 1.3 MILES BY FOREST SERVICE ROAD NE OF THE NEW WAVERLY-RICHARDS ROAD (GRADED DIRT). THE TOWER IS OF GALVANIZED-STEEL CONSTRUCTION, WITH ENCLOSED CROWS NEST AT THE TOP AND IS ABOUT 110 FEET HIGH. POINT LOCATED WAS THE APEX OF THE PYRAMIDAL ROOF.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE JUNCTION OF U.S. HIGHWAY NO. 75 AND STATE HIGHWAY 150 AT THE EAST SIDE OF NEW WAVERLY GO WEST ON GRAVELED ROAD FOR 4.2 MILES CROSSING GUM CREEK, TO A WOODS ROAD TO THE RIGHT ON TOP OF A HILL, TURN RIGHT AND GO NORTH FOR 1.1 MILES TO STATION ON THE LEFT AS DESCRIBED.