May 23, 1936: "The first forest service lookout tower in southeastern Minnesota has been erected on a high bluff just east of Elba. It will be manned during dry weather periods to protect forested sections of the Whitewater area, Olmsted and Wabasha counties. It is 110 feet high." (The Evening Tribune)
FY 1935-36: "A lookout tower has been erected near Elba overlooking the White Water Game Refuge and provision made for manning it during periods of high hazard. No need developed for the use of this tower for fire suppression purposes during either of the seasons of 1935 or 1936." (Third Biennial Report, Department of Conservation)
April 9, 1952: "In the Whitewater refuge area there is a fire tower and the supervising force in this project is prepared to battle any outbreak of fire. The state fully realizes the value of the refuge can be greatly harmed by a fire. All the young trees possible are needed to retard the runoff of water from the bluffs. A million conifers planted in the Root River watershed and protected from fire would be a real factor in reducing the peak of floods in that valley." (Winona Republican Herald)
November 14, 1952: "Out in the Whitewater area, George Meyers, superintendent of the Whitewater Game Refuge, had manned the Elba fire tower. He will have fire wardens scattered throughout the refuge during the three-day open season. This will be one of the heaviest hunted areas. Last year, a car check showed 200 deer were taken out on opening day." (Winona Republican Herald)
May 8, 1959: "The fire tower at Elba is manned when conditions indicate a fire hazard is present. Peter Kronebusch is towerman. Kronebusch may be reached by calling Altura 7575 to report a fire." (The Winona Daily News)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - ELBA FIRE TOWER PID - PP2238 STATE/COUNTY- MN/WINONA COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - ELBA (1977)
DESCRIBED BY MN DEPT OF TRANSP 1973 (DKH) THE TOWER IS LOCATED 1/2 MILE EAST OF THE TOWN OF ELBA IN THE NW 1/4 OF SECTION 10, T107N, R10W.
TO REACH THE TOWER FROM THE JUNCTION OF T.H. 74 AND WINONA COUNTY ROAD 26 IN ELBA, GO SOUTHWEST ON T.H. 74 FOR APPROXIMATELY 1-3/4 MILES TO BLACKTOP ROAD ON LEFT, (COUNTY ROAD 39), TURN LEFT AND GO SOUTHEAST ON COUNTY ROAD 39 FOR 1-1/4 MILES TO ROAD ON LEFT, TURN LEFT AND GO EAST AND NORTH ON GRAVEL TWP. ROAD NO. 7 FOR 1.9 MILES, TO WHERE ROAD BECOMES UNMAINTAINED DIRT ROAD, CONTINUE ON THIS ROAD FOR 1. 4 MILES TO LOOKOUT TOWER.
THE TOWER IS OF STEEL CONSTRUCTION, WITH A WOODEN PLATFORM AND CROWS NEST, APPROXIMATELY 130 FEET HIGH.
A STANDARD MHD 1-1/2 INCH CONTROL MONUMENT BRASS DISK STAMPED FIRE TOWER 1973 IS SET WITH A SPIKE IN THE FLOOR AND CENTERED BELOW THE POINT ON THE TOWER.