Bollinger County Missouri Conservation Commission 30N-9E-9
1946-1947: 40 acres were acquired for a towersite. (Annual Report of the Missouri Department of Conservation)
February 20, 1947: "A new lookout tower near Grassy is under construction." (Jefferson City Post-Tribune)
June 28, 1947: A new 60-foot wooden tower constructed. (Daily Capital News)
1947-1948: The 'Official Manual of the State of Missouri' indicates that the towersite is owned by the Missouri Conservation Commission and is 40 acres in size.
September 13, 1949: "The Grassy and Gipsy towers on the Sam A. Baker district in Bollinger county are new towers, put there to enable Conservation Commission foresters to protect the forest from its dreadful enemy, fire. Soon after the towers were up and before the towerman moved in, a squadron of flying squirrels moved in too. These shy little creatures seemed to know that of all homes they could pick in the forest, this one was the least likely to burn down." (Mexico Ledger)
FY1957-58: "During the fiscal year a steel lookout tower was constructed to replace the temporary wooden tower which had been erected at Flat Rock." (Missouri Conservation Commission Annual Report FY 1957-58)